Hey gals! Long-time, no outfit post, eh? It’s hilarious because I used to be such an expert at posing for the camera for these types of posts, but when Jess and I headed out the other day to snap these pics, I felt SO awkward! I finally got a sense for what people talk about when they say they aren’t photogenic, lol 😉 Thankfully these turned out, though.
We’ve been talking an awful lot about change on the blog lately, but as I was thinking about what I would write in this post, it occurred to me what things will never change. No matter how hard I try, somethings just follow me around, and always will. They’re what makes this Charlotte a unique Charlotte, different from the one you read about in a book, or who comes up when you google my name.
- Bright colors. No matter what, bright colors have followed me around my whole life. From my extravagantly vibrant closet and wildly bright-pink bedding as a child, to being almost an adult with a Summer closet that is 90% the color coral/bright orange. Yep. Don’t know how that happened 😛
- Braids. We had a tradition where Mom would braid all of our girls’ hair into a million tiny braids before we went camping, that way our hair would stay clean, and we wouldn’t have to head to the showers every.single.day after a wonderful, dirty adventure 🙂 It made for all the awesome-Mom points, and made us girls feel like rockstars. As I’ve been growing my hair out, braids are still my #1 go-to with hair styling. They’re just that awesome.
- Jeans. Even though I went through a solid 5-6 years jeans-free, I feel like I’m reliving my 8th year with all the jeans and jean jackets. Guys, how did I ever survive without my beloved skinny jeans??
- Makeup-Free always trumps Makeup. I’m an extremist. If you dig into my posts 2-3 years ago, you would find a very makeup-obsessed Charlotte. Now, I’m makeup free 99% of the time, and LOVING it. I’ve grown to dislike the sticky, oily, sweaty mess that my face becomes when I layer on the makeup, no matter how light I go. I’d rather embrace my glorious skin, and do without the cover-up thank ya very much (ps- this is not to say I have anything against makeup: just for practicality reasons, this simplicity loving gal prefers to do without… though a little mascara never, ever hurts 😉 )
- I can never get away from bread. As a child, my “dessert” would be bread and butter, or toast with butter and cinnamon & sugar topping. If bread made it to the table at a meal, I was ALL OVER IT. Then I grew up and discovered that I have a gluten allergy. Yay (boo). I really did try to go “gluten-free”, I promise… But instead I found an ancient grain to replace our typical “wheat” with, and have fallen in love with it. I’m now a bread *snob* lol 😉
- I’m an indoors gal. When I was little, I had fun playing outside and all that… but the bugs, poisonous plants, etc. always deterred me from adventuring like my sisters did. Still to this day, I’d rather stay inside than adventure into the woods. Now, anything water-related/not in close proximity to a densely wooded area is a totally different story, I will clarify. 😉
- Life is better with sisters. For a time when Brigi got married and moved away, I felt like I needed to scramble to find a replacement for her… Some friend to reach out to who could support me the way she used to. Now that things have started to settle down and my newly abbreviated family has gotten into some sort of routine, I feel like I’m establishing better relationships with both my sisters. Friends can never, ever replace family, you guys. Ever.
- I am my father’s daughter. I learned my “trade” from him, my love of graphic design, and being a perfectionist with all things visual. He influences my taste in music, and he and Mom made our girls’ childhood sweet with the beats of Coldplay and U2. I’m a fire-y, determined gal with a vision, and love for communicating that vision to others; both things that I inherited from him. I adore sci-fi, and fell positively head-over-heels for one of his favorite movie series, The Matrix, when he showed it to me last year. Plus, I can’t help but look like him, lol! When I was younger, an elder at our old church called me “Clancetta” because I looked so much like my Dad (whose name is Clancy)… It’s almost like a prophecy for how much I would be like him when I grew up 🙂
But out of all the things that haven’t changed about me, I’m so thankful that I have a Father in heaven whose love for me will NEVER alter. His thoughts towards me are more than the number of the stars. He made me unique, in His image, and without Him I would be absolutely nothing. And that, my friends, will never, ever change.
On a side note: YOU GUYS. I’m like 90% there to have CLEAR SKIN! You don’t know how tough of a journey this has been for Jess and I to weed out the chemicals and gain clear complexions naturally, but I’m almost there and couldn’t be more ecstatic! Is anybody interested in hearing about our journey? Let me know in the comments! 😀
What things about you never change?