Hello! I am so excited to bring to you all the first “What I Made” edition of my vintage capsule wardrobe series! It’s one thing to draw out plans and another to enact them, so I am quite pleased that my efforts to bring my thoughts and ideas into reality are paying off! 🙂
Out of the sketches that I drew up, I decided to first make the two more easily-made pieces for my sewing experience: denim palazzo pants and a cotton blouse. I was originally going to use Simplicity 1278 and some reclaimed yardage of quilting cotton for a wearable mock-up of that blouse. But things changed, and I decided to use another fabric for that pattern’s mockup, and sewed up a wearable mock-up of Simplicity 3688. And the reason why I say “wearable mockup” is because, ideally, I would not use quilting cotton (it’s just too stiff!) for my fashion fabric like I did in this rendition. Though my blouse turned out so nice, it really surpasses that demoting title 😉
The design of this blouse is rather plain, and the busy print of my cotton hides any of the few, small details incorporated in the design. However, I did have a bit of fun with the bias binding of the neckline, using a scrap of designer quilting cotton that coordinated nicely with my fabric. I finished off the back opening with a delightful, cherry-red button, completing the red accents of the blouse.
One of the reasons why I made a mock-up was to test out the flex-sleeve adjustment (tutorial coming soon!) that I made to the pattern. I wanted to make extra-certain-sure that I would run into no difficulties when making this blouse out of a more appropriate fabric with that alteration. I didn’t, and it worked pretty well, as I can lift my arms straight up without too much strain on the blouse. It is an improvement upon the original design, and I will definitely be keeping it for future blouses!
Ok, now onto my trousers! This was actually my first time making Brigid’s Linden Lady pants pattern (shocking, I know!), and it was quite easy to whip up, though because my body dimensions don’t exactly match up with those of the pattern sizes, there were parts that needed adjusting as I went along. I had a little trouble getting the waist to fit properly: there’s a fine line between too big, too tight, and just right! Especially with trousers that fit all the way through the hips, and then flare out hugely in the leg. You need as much support as you can get up top to hold everything up 😉 After some fiddly alterations, however, I came up with a pretty perfect fit! Yay! I must say, I really love working with heavy-duty materials like denim: it’s so sturdy, and you don’t have to worry about blind hems, but you do get to do fancy seam finishes like flat-felling, which oddly makes me quite happy 🙂
There’s just something so fun about having *huge* trouser legs swishing about as you walk through your day! You feel utterly dramatic and the epitome of style, all the while staying completely comfortable. Perfection.
All in all, I’m quite happy with my first additions to my vintage capsule wardrobe! Like I did in changing up the blouse design, I have made several big alterations to the rest of my ideas. A few of the yardages that I purchased turned out to be bigger than I anticipated and different in weight and drape, so a change of plans was definitely needed. Hopefully a wool crepe 1940s dress, or something along those lines will be coming next in my line-up of winter wear. We shall see! 🙂
Well, I have some school work to tend to, and photographer-assistant Brigid and I are popping out later to do my Senior portraits (squee!) later today, so I’d best get hopping!
-Charlotte, the youngest sister & singer