Hello dearies! I am so glad the past two days’ worth of rain has finally passed and that sunshine is on its way! When I first was contemplating the fact that we had to do a photoshoot for this dress in the rain, I wasn’t so pleased. Until Charlotte captured the absolutely gorgeous gray beauty that exists in a rainy day (it helped to have a fun red filter of course. :D). But you didn’t come here for commentary on the weather did you? Well if you did, then toddle along, because the weather report is over, and the sewing report is about to begin…
You all will most likely remember that in my Contemplations of an A/W Wardrobe post, I said I was going to make myself a buffalo plaid dress. Well my dears, this is that dress! I used the bodice of S&S Pattern’s 1958 Party Dress, with some alterations of course, and my own hand-drafted 1/2 circle skirt pattern for the skirt. The fabric is some lovely cotton knit in a Buffalo Plaid print from Wanderlust Fabrics.
As you can see, I lengthened the sleeves. Everything else I kept pretty much the same except for the fact that I had to take 1-1/2 inches in at the waist, and 1/2 an inch at the top. I think this is on account of the stretchy nature of the buffalo knit, since the pattern has fit me perfectly before, and I have not changed that drastically in size since the last time I made it. 😉
The weight of this knit is perfect for the autumn and wintertime, which was one of my concerns when purchasing a cotton knit for an autumn/winter dress. One thing that I loved about making this dress out of knit, is I got to treat it just like I was making a t-shirt. That means all of the seams are serged, with the exception of the exposed zipper down the back. I also added some elastic at the waistline to stabilize it. It was my first time ever doing something like that, and I certainly learned that next time I need to stretch my elastic more! I didn’t stretch it quite enough this time around, so the waistline turned out a wee bit ripply. But that isn’t anything a nice belt can’t fix! Oh, and naughty me didn’t hem the skirt! Good thing it’s knit and doesn’t ravel! 😉
I must have been having a hard time the day I made this belt, because it just would not cooperate! First, the vintage covered belt buckle kit that I was trying to use got all messed up (read: do not ever attempt to use gorilla glue to glue fabric to a vintage metal belt buckle. Most stupid idea ever, and I have the glue covered fingers to show for it. :P), so I had to switch to a plastic buckle. Then, I had to try and get the belt prong on to the plastic buckle, during which time I managed to snap a corner off of the buckle! Thankfully some super glue fixed that, and the rest of the belt came together smoothly. What’s funny, is that this is my favorite belt that I have ever attempted to make! So I guess all the trial and error was worth it in the end.
Overall, I am very happy with my dress! I’m not saying there aren’t things I would change next time around, but the dress, for the first time around making a knit dress out of patterns meant for woven materials, is what I would call a wonderful success, even with all of it’s (hopefully) unnoticeable mistakes and quirks. I’m already dreaming up all the different ways I could style it: pair it with a denim jacket and some fun jewelry; add a vintage pink cardigan and a matching hat; put a certain black sweater on top and it would look like a ballerina inspired ensemble. Keep an eye out in the next few months, because you will be seeing this dress again!
CREDITS // Author: Brigid Boyer; Photography: Charlotte Boyer; Photos edited with VSCO Film Presets