Are you all as excited for this as we are??? Today is the beginning of our How We Wear Vintage Contest, a contest geared towards encouraging young ladies who are interested in vintage fashion to bite the bullet and come up with an outfit inspired by their favorite vintage era (30’s-60’s). The only catch is, your outfit doesn’t have to actually include things you have in your wardrobe! Read on to see what on earth we’re talking about!
So, what is the contest all about? Well, what you have to do is create a Polyvore board with an outfit inspired by your favorite vintage era. If you don’t have a Polyvore account already, don’t worry! Signing up for Polyvore is easy and, best of all, free! Plus, it’s a great way of coming up with outfits based on items in your own wardrobe, putting together ensembles with items you think you would be interested in buying, etc. If you aren’t familiar with Polyvore, here is a great tutorial to get you started (it is geared towards creating a furniture board, but you get the basic idea), and here’s another overview of how to get started in Polyvore.
The boards will be judged on Originality, Practicality, and Authenticity, on a scale of 1 to 10, with a total possible amount of 30 points. The contest runs from today, May 31st, to June 9th at Midnight EST.
Now, that you have an overview of what the contest is, let’s see what the prizes are! There are four prizes: 3rd, 2nd, 1st, and Grand Prize. Starting out with 3rd prize…
For 3rd place prize, Jeannine from Totally Scarves is offering the 3rd place winner a FREE 15 dollar scarf! And practically half her shop offerings are around that price, so the lucky 3rd place winner will have a lot to chose from. And what better way to add a touch of vintage to your outfit than with a pretty scarf?
Jessica of the blog Chronically Vintage recently opened up her own Etsy shop of the same name (check it out here!) full of spectacular vintage jewelry, books, and accessories. We contacted her right quick when we were planning this contest, and what do you know? She is giving the 2nd place winner a $25 credit to her store! And what better way to add a touch of retro pizzazz to your outfit than with a vintage brooch or necklace, or even a hat and gloves?
We were so stoked when Holly Point vintage, an Etsy shop full to overflowing with vintage clothing goodness, agreed to sponsor 1st place prize with a $30 credit to her shop! How awesome is that?!?
And now, drumroll please… Croatia Vintage, one of our favorite vintage Etsy clothing stores, is offering the Grand Prize winner a $50 credit to her shop! Just think what you could get with $50: a blouse and accessories, a dress, a skirt… oohhh, the possibilities!
Alright, on to the rules. These are mandatory, and you must abide by them, otherwise you will be disqualified from the contest.
1. You must put a link to your board along with your email address (you can put your email in this form: name(at)townsville(dot)com, so that no-one can “grab” it) in the comments below, or else it will not be counted in the entries to the contest.
2. One board entry per person! Any extra boards will be disqualified.
3. ONLY ONE OUTFIT PER BOARD.
4. Your boards must retain modest standards. No pin-up or racy styles permitted. We will not chose those to win.
5. No copycatting. If we find two boards that are very similar, we hold the right to disqualify the most recently created board.
6. No items with a value of over $200 may be included in your Polyvore board. Remember, one of the judging criteria is Practicality.
7. Please do NOT mention your blog name on your board.
Now that we have the Do-Not’s put out of the way, let’s move on to the Please-Do’s!
1. Please do be creative, practical and authentic.
2. Please do be modest in your clothing choices.
3. Please be thrifty in the monetary value of your clothing choices.
4. Have your Polyvore board turned in before midnight EST, the 9th of June.
5. Create an outfit that YOU would wear, and not something you think WE would chose!
6. Please do create ONE outfit based on one of the eras we covered in this series: 1930’s – 1960’s
7. Most importantly, ENJOY YOURSELF!
Now, let us introduce the judges, and repeat the standards which they will be judging by:
and Brigid Boyer!
Yep, that’s right folks! The Boyer Family Singers will be judging the How We Wear Vintage contest! We promise most solemnly to not be biased.
And as far as the criteria we will be judging on:
Originality (creativity in ensemble and accessory choices, and showing a strong sense of personality)
Practicality (i.e. frugality in monetary value of items, and the wearability of the outfit.)
Authenticity (authenticity to your inspirational era, as well as authenticity to your personal taste)
Each criteria will be judged on a scale of 1 to 10 with a possible total amount of 30 points!
So, does everyone understand how this works? If not, feel free to ask us ANY questions about the contest in the comments below! If you do understand, then what are you waiting for? Head on over to Polyvore and get cracking on that board of yours! We can’t wait to see all of your entries!