A few weeks ago I thrifted a cute, unique little collared cardigan that I simply couldn’t pass up. I was so entranced with the fun details and design, I didn’t notice an awful flaw: one of the cuffs’ edge was eaten away a good amount, probably by a moth; enough for me to have chosen not to get the little sweater. Sadly, I discovered this imperfection while we were at our voice teacher’s house, as I was pulling on one of my sleeves. I thought I felt something unusual, and when I looked at it, there was the moth-eaten cuff. My heart sank to my knees. Not only was I at my voice teachers house, but also I had spent good money on that cardigan, only for me to find out that it was… well… trashed.
I dumped the sweater into my mending pile, which is known for gathering dust more than being tended too; dreading the thought of having to weave or knit the cuff into presentable shape. Fast forward a few weeks, and I was displaying the sweater’s sad plight to my Mom, and she suggested that I simply hem the cuff to hide the unseemly blemish. I had contemplated that option before, but thought it a little too, well, “cheap”. When, however, Mom presented the idea once more to me, I took it up and determined to fix my cardigan asap.
So now that you know a little history behind this tutorial, how about I show you how I did it?
Since I had an opportunity for customization, I first developed my inspiration for how I wanted the sweater to look. I gleaned examples from some images I’ve seen of cardigans and sweaters from the 50’s Sears and Roebuck Catalogs, like the image shown above. I decided to embellish the cuff hem with a pretty decorative stitch from a plate that I snapped into my Singer Slant-O-Matic 500.
I hemmed the sleeves by simply folding up the entire cuff, as that would make the sleeves the perfect length, and it would hide the moth-eaten part; while still giving me room for seam allowance. I pinned up the cuff and began stitching away, being careful to keep it straight, as I was using a high-contrasting thread, and didn’t really want a hem that was zig-zagging all over the place.
As both the hems of my sleeves had a pretty white stitching at the cuff, I wanted to balance the design by echoing the stitching on the collar.
The whole process for mending my sweater was SO ridiculously simple, I was able to complete it in around 10 minutes total, subtracting all the time that went into pictures 😉