For those of you who follow me on instagram (@moddyapple), you would know that a week or so ago I was working on a pair of crops for myself. I know I must’ve said it in the past, but I’m a sucker for cropped pants! As soon as I saw Laura’s from the Dick Van Dyke show, I knew that somehow I needed to make myself a pair.
Now, we are rather picky about the pants that we Boyer ladies wear. Not too tight around the rear or legs, and nothing that would tempt our brothers in Christ (like a low waistband that gapes when you bend over. Yikes!) So after reviewing a few options with my Dad, I was able to determine what boundaries I had as far as tightness and fit goes with my crops. Off I went on a search for the perfect pattern that would get me just the right look, and fit… I’m rather picky about my trousers staying were there supposed to sit, aka, stay around my waist! A lot of the bottom separate items that I make always seem to be a bit big about the waist, and I did not want that happening with my crops. These were kind of like my “baby” sewing project. They had to be Perfect.
A few pattern options came my way, but the one that I decided to stick with was a find from an estate sale: Simplicity 1606. Now because of the size that I got it in, and the looser style of the shorts, I had to grade it down and take them in (and up in the crotch), and lengthen them quite a bit! I mainly wanted a sort of outline to base my crops off of, and not necessarily a perfect pattern for me to use right away. I roughly based my grading off of Casey’s series along with this chart. Hehe, you should’ve seen my first mock-up 😉 Big, loosey goosey narrow legged nasty bright blue… um… pants? Nasty things! Oh, and I am NEVER using any linen-upholstory-polyester-yuhcky material again for sewing or otherwise!
After making the needful adjustments to the pattern based on the alterations of my first mock-up, I sewed up another (this time out of cotton muslin, lol!) that I got giddy over! They were Perfect!
Once I had made that joyous discovery, I got down to washing and laying out my pattern onto some fabulous kelly/lime green twill that I found at the same estate sale as the pattern. But much to my disheartenment did I find such awful, huuuuuge stains right in the middle of the beautiful goods! Bleh! Bye bye green twill crops!
I did have some corduroy in my stash, but not wanting to fiddle with the tricky nap of such material, I went with an old twill skirt of Brigid’s which I dismantled and was happily able to fit my pattern onto! Yay! But here comes that dreadful however: However (see, I told you), I wasn’t able to fit the pieces lengthwise of the grain (which would have given me more wear, ease and stretch. Rather crucial to a narrow legged pant like my crops), but widthwise (the opposite of the pros of lengthwise.) Brigid gave me the Oh-kaaaay, so I dove for it. The pants were super easy to whip up (the fly was the trickiest… but I won’t get into that story. This post is long enough as is lol), and the fit turned out beautifully, even though I needed to loosen the pleats in the front a wee bit (I’m not exactly a 24″ waister.) The big test came Monday morning when I first wore my “babies” for more than 10 minutes. As it turns out, lengthwise is much better than widthwise as far as material goes. I don’t have much stretch or ease my crops (definitely using material with some spandex in it next time!), which makes moving around a bit awkward and stiff, but other than that… and the fact that they are just a bit too tight around the shins… I’m rather in love with my first pair of crops!