Today I have a rather fun MIY (make it yourself) for you all today: how to make your very own vintage-inspired lace collar! The reason why I came up with this simple how-to is for various reasons:
1. Vintage lace collars are a fabulous accessory to have, but could be rather pricey/rare for some.
2. The product of the other tutorial I’ve seen similar to this one didn’t seem sturdy enough to hold up for long.
3. The original way of actually making the lace yourself is soooo time-consuming and tedious, and not everyone knows the delicate art.
- 8.5 x 11″ piece of paper
- an old lace curtain
- sewing pins and needles
- strip of 1/4″ bias tape
- sewing machine
- small, pretty button
1. Take the 8.5 x 11″ piece of paper and draw out the shape demonstrated above. It should take up most of the paper, and have curves where indicated in the photo. It’s alright if it’s rather rough, as you can smooth out the edges when you cut out the collar. Try on the pattern, and resize if needed.
4. Sew close to the edge of your bias tape, all the way to the end of the strip, removing pins as you go.